A 1997 European Commission study reports that three out of four Europeans know about homeopathy, and of these, 29% use it for their health care – that was 100 million European citizens who used homeopathic medicinal products in 1998 in EU 15.
Recent market data
- 94% of Germans have heard about homeopathic medicines and 60% have used them, up from 53% in 2009 (Allensbach 2014)
- 82% of Italians have heard of homeopathy, 35% of Italian population have positive attitude towards homeopathy and 16% of them use homeopathy at least once a year (Doxapharma 2012)
- 33% of Spanish people have used homeopathy, and 27% use it occasionally or regularly; eight out of ten (82%) people using homeopathy are satisfied or very satisfied with the outcome of their treatments, and this figure goes up to 99% in regular users (Revista Medica de Homeopatia 2012)
- 77% of French people trust homeopathy, 56% have used homeopathy and 36% use it on a regular basis (Boiron Ipsos 2012)
- 69% of Belgian households use homeopathic medicine,16 up from 50% in 2011. Among non-users of homeopathy, 70% state that they would like to use homeopathy in the future (Boiron 2013)
- 50% of Austrians have used homeopathic medicines, including 62% of women and 37% of men, and about 60% of families with young and school-age children (IMS Health Austria, 2010)
- The types of products most widely available in pharmacies are those requested for self-medication (ECHAMP 2012).
The industry sector
Homeopathy and anthroposophic medicine are long-standing traditions in the EU, which is the major world producer of homeopathic and anthroposophic medicinal products. In 2013, the European market for homeopathic and anthroposophic medicinal products was valued at €1,237 million (ex-factory prices). This represents 7% of the EU market for non-prescription products. The sector employs about 10,000 people in the EU. Small and medium-sized enterprises account for 30-40% of sector turnover.
- Related content